- No paddler will be allowed on the water without ALL the necessary safety equipment.
- No paddler under the age of 16 years of age (as at 1 January ) may enter in a single ski.
paddler will wear a PFD (Personal Floatation Device) as approved by
Canoeing South Africa, have a leash attaching the paddler to the surf
ski, and a working cell phone. We recommend you carry a flare this is
Paddlers must be registered with Canoeing South Africa (CSA), to be eligible to compete in the races.
The number issued by CSA, or the race organisers (for internationals) must be placed at the front on both sides of your surf ski.
- Personal advertising will be permitted as per the CSA personal advertising rule i.e behind the pedals.
- Personal advertising may not clash with the main sponsors.
- All surfskis/paddles must display any sponsor’s logo stickers that are supplied.
- Stickers other than sponsor stickers will not be permitted in the area
in front of the pedals to the nose of your ski, this includes personal
branding and names.
- Paddlers must display correct CSA numbers on surfski – any incorrect/incomplete numbers will result in disqualification.
- Any competitor who rides the wake of a motorised craft will be disqualified.
- Competitors will be allowed seconds to assist them on the beach. They
should take care not to infringe on the rules of the race by assisting
competitors in the water.
- Any competitor who receives physical
support or assistance or who enters one of the rescue craft, will be
disqualified, with the exception of those doing so to repair their
- The race referee may decide whether a competitor should
be prevented from continuing the race at any time. The decision of the
race referee is final. NSRI are considered to be referee’s
safety mobile phone number for emergencies, as well as for notifying the
race referee of withdrawals will be given at race briefing. The onus is
on the competitor to notify the race referee of his/her withdrawal. The
costs of any search resulting from a competitor not notifying the
organisers of his or her withdrawal will be borne by the competitor.
- The finish will be between two lags on the beach.
- Paddlers must cross the finish line with their craft.
- Double skis – Both competitors must be with the craft.
- Competitors must finish the race with the craft they started the race in. Paddles may be changed.
Race registration will take place on Friday evening before the race Fish Hoek Surf Lifesaving Club at 17h00 – 19h00 no late entries will be accepted at this point
There will be a compulsory race & safety briefing at 19h00 after registration and final batches will be posted. No batch changes after 19H00
First batch scheduled for 05h30 , but is subject to change depending on the light, sea and wind conditions.
Starting procedures will be explained at Race registration / race briefing
All paddlers must meet qualifying criteria stipulated by the race organizers.
CSA approved PDFs (personal floatation device), body leashes, operational cell phones with air time, are compulsory There will be no exception to this rule.
NB Any altered (floatation removed) PFD WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION
The race committee reserves the right to change the course, or to change starting times, or to cancel or delay at its discretion a part or the whole race in the interests of safety
No inflatable lifejackets will be permitted.